Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hair catastrophe




So over the course of the last three days I dyed my hair five times and did one color removal. Yes I still have hair. No it doesn't look terrible. Its just a little bit lighter. Usually I only want to focus this blog on nails, nail color review and manicure technology, but because I have tried so many brands of hair dye (including one japanese brand.. don't ask) I figure I might as well share my story and give a few tips while I am at it.
Before you read further, you must know that the moral of this story is, if it doesn't look terrible and you sort of like it, and your not a professional hair stylist or colorist, don't mess with your hair any further!
I naturally have reddish brown hair. For a while now I have been wanting to dye my hair blonde, ranging from different shades, but I definitely wanted some sort of blonde in there in leu of the reddish tones. So I bought a nice and easy dye box of a medium blonde, leaving my hair with a lot of highlights and slightly lighter, and letting go of some of the red. It looked good, but not great. After walking around doing my life for a day in this new shade, I decided to get some bleach.
I accidentally neglected the back of my head, and over-did my front. This left the top of my hair and all of my roots platinum with some of my longer ends and hair on the back of my head different shades of brown and blonde. Then I picked up a Garnier nutrisse "hot tamale" shade and dyed it. The mess came out Yellowish orange.
Thats when my husband insisted on going out and looking for a nice and easy hair dye to cover this up. Us living in Astoria and it being one o'clock, there were no shops open that sell hair dye.. except some random Japanese grocery and goods store by our house. So he found some reddish brown hair dye. All of the instructions were in Japanese, and my roots ended up being pink and the rest of my hair was purple-ish red. I had class at 10 am this morning.
I went to bed.. unwillingly. This morning I ran to Rite Aid and got a box of a light reddish blonde shade from nice and easy and color oops. Color oops removes hair dye by shrinking their molecules, which left my head bleached like before. Then I put the Nice and easy in, and it at least, looks a lot better now.
So I hope you enjoyed that story. These pictures are taken of all three blonde stages, the first was after my second dye (beige shirt) the second is my ultra-blonde (purple shirt) and the final, which is after I did the color oops and re-dyed it with the reddish blonde, in the grey sweater. I know, you can't really see the difference because I have a shitty iphone camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment